Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn
The Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of Country throughout Australia. It recognises the cultural diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their continuing connection to land and sea. We pay our respects to Indigenous Elders both past and present and the importance of their leadership in the future of our nation.
The Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn was first established as a separate diocese (the Diocese of Goulburn) in 1863, under Letters Patent issued by Queen Victoria, when Goulburn was created as a Australia’s first inland City.
In 1950, the Diocese was renamed the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn, reflecting the growth and development of Canberra as the National Capital.
The mother church of the Diocese is St Saviour’s Cathedral in Goulburn.
The Diocese, under the care and authority of the Bishop, is the formal unit of organisation for carrying out the mission and ministry of the Anglican Church within our region.
The Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn is a rich and diverse Diocese spanning a large area, including all of the ACT and the south-eastern corner of NSW, extending as far as Wagga Wagga in the west, Marulan in the north and the Far South Coast. Each of these regions have a distinctive history and sense of community.
Ministry is provided to people in rural, regional and city areas through sixty-one ministry units.
In addition, the Diocese has eight Anglican schools and numerous agencies including Anglicare NSW South, NSW West & ACT; St Mark’s National Theological Centre, run in conjunction with Charles Sturt University (CSU) and the Anglican Investment; and Development Fund (AIDF), a growing financial institution supporting the mission of the Diocese.
The Diocese is also affiliated with Burgmann College at ANU and St Martin’s College at Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga and has a direct partnership with the Little Company of Mary, delivering significant aged care services through The Forrest Centre in Wagga Wagga.
The Diocesan Office is located in Canberra. It works to maintain effective communication with Diocesan entities and assist the overall strategic development of the Anglican Church in the Canberra and Goulburn region.