Safe Ministries Workshops and Training
The Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn is committed to holistic Safe Ministries. This means: we commit to our pastoral, insurance, legal and duty of care obligations; with its goal that all ministries are spiritually, emotionally and physically safe; based on the premise that Diocesan parishes and ministries should be abuse-free and harm free, person valuing and respectful spaces for ministry to God’s glory.
The CREATING SAFE MINISTRIES (CSM) program assists us to fulfill this commitment.
1. Induction/Awareness Workshops
The workshop program is now be broken into 2 sections.
Section 1 – Induction Training – for all volunteers and paid staff in ministry to children, young people and vulnerable adults, parish councilors, wardens and all clergy. (9:30am – 1:30pm for day courses)
- Safe Ministry Foundations
- Protecting People
- Safe Church Workers
- Safe programs
Section 2 – Senior Leadership Safe Ministry Implementation – for all parish councilors, wardens, all clergy and ministry co-ordinators. (2:00pm – 3:30pm for day courses)
- Implementation of Diocesan policies and protocols
- Safe Ministry Resources
This new structure means that volunteers who are not ministry /program co-ordinators will only need to attend training until 1pm in a day course.
2. Refresher Workshops
Refresher workshops are 2 hours in duration.
3. Online Safe Ministry Course
As an alternative to attending a face to face workshop, those who need to complete a Creating Safe Ministries workshop can now access the National Anglican Safe Ministry Induction (Awareness*) course. The course is available through Open Learning and the participant will pay for the course themselves and then seek reimbursement from their parish.
*The Refresher Course will be available in March 2019.
The Online Safe Ministry Course will cost $30. At successful completion of the course, participants will be able to access a non-printable version of the Manual used in the face to face workshops.
The eTraining helpline number 1800 070 511.
What Training Should I Complete?
- If participants have not attended a workshop in the past or their workshop was more than 3 years ago, they will need to attend an Induction/Awareness workshop or complete the Online Safe Ministry Course
- If participants have attended a workshop 3 years ago, they will need to attend a Refresher workshop
How Much Does it Cost?
- $30.00 per person
- Churches are to meet the costs of the participants they send to the workshop
- All churches will be invoiced by the Diocesan Office after a workshop for the participants who have attended
- Non-Diocesan participants: please supply invoicing details
No cash will be collected at the workshop
How do I Register for Face to Face Workshops?
Please complete the CSM workshop Registration Form and email to Gaynor Elder at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 10 days before a workshop date. We need name, ministry position, email address & phone contacts of participants.
If you have any questions regarding the workshop, please contact Gaynor Elder on 02 6245 7158.