Select Page

The centenary of the end of World War 1 in 1918 was marked by a service of remembrance and thanksgiving at St Saviour’s Cathedral, Goulburn, on Saturday 13th October. 920 men from 41 parishes around the diocese died during that war. Their names were read out during the service as candles representing each parish were placed on the Cathedral’s high altar.

The 920 names are carved in stone on the walls of the Chapel of St Michael and St George, known as the Soldiers’ Chapel. Hearing the names read out by parish was a moving reminder of the terrible impact World War 1 had on every community. For example, the tiny parishes of Kameruka and  Thuddungra, which no longer exist as separate parishes, each lost 17 men and Tumbarumba lost 30 men. Every family in those small communities would have been affected.

The service was jointly organised by the Friends of the Cathedral and the Anglican Historical Society.

Following the service, Anglican Historical Society members visited All Saints’ church in Marulan before travelling to nearby Brayton. The church at Brayton was destroyed in a bushfire in 1965 but the cemetery is still there and is still in use. Dorothy Pryce, who spent some of her childhood years in Brayton, spoke of times past when Brayton boasted not only a church but also a post office, hall and school.

Brayton Cemetery

That evening the Mulwaree Country Women’s Association catered for a dinner at Christ Church, West Goulburn, at which The Reverend Haydon Swinbourne, a former Army chaplain, gave an entertaining but passionate talk about the role of defence force chaplains.

The following day, Sunday 14th October, the Anglican Historical Society visited the Remembrance Museum at Mulwaree High School in Goulburn. The museum contains a large number of items brought back to Australia from Europe and the Middle East after World War 1, as well as historical displays, which are changed periodically to reflect the different aspects of the war. The museum forms part of the educational program at the school and is open to the public on Sunday afternoons.

Read Bishop Trevor’s Homily from the Service.

by Charles Body